Who wants a nice big bowl of kale? I can say that a little over a year ago, the answer was a big fat no thank you from me. It wasn’t until last summer that I would ask for seconds of kale, which I owe to my mom because she introduced me to a delicious kale recipe known as a “California Kale Salad.” This recipe will even get the veggie haters chowing down!!
Just a little info that’ll convince you to eat your greens 😉
-They are a great source of beta-carotene which aids in the growth and repair of your body’s tissues
-The more you eat, the closer you are to getting that six pack! (unless that broccoli you’re eating is smothered in cheese)
-They are a fantastic source of folate, which aids in avoiding memory loss and increases the serotonin levels in your body (decreasing the risk of depression)
-They keep your hair shiny and growing
-They keep your skin clear and glowing
The list goes on and on but i’ll just get to the point so you can start enjoying this delicious recipe!
The ingredients involved in making this desert-like salad are:
- 1 bunch kale leaves (curly variety)
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar OR 1 package Splenda
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 medium apple, washed, cored and diced (do not peel)
- 1/4 cup diced red onion (rinse to remove bitterness)
- 1/3 cup sun-dried cranberries or Craisins or 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup sweet glazed pecans or toasted sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue or gorgonzola cheese (more or less)
- salt and pepper to taste
- using scissors, cut away kale stems. Finely chop kale leaves and place in a large bowl. Add salt and let stand 15 minutes, then rinse and drain. Dry thoroughly.
- combine olive oil and vinegar and set aside. Add sugar/splenda and lemon juice to the diced apple to retard browning. Stir in diced, rinsed red onion. (If onions are very bitter, sprinkle with a teaspoon sugar when rinsing).
- in a large bowl combine kale, apple-onion mixture (without draining), berries, pecans and blue cheese. Toss with dressing and season to taste with coarse salt and pepper.